Monday, July 28, 2008

Big City Woes

Its been quiet here, I know. There's way too much going on, and in weird ways too much stagnantion. So much happened in the past few days that its hard to believe that its just been a month since the last time I wrote. I'm not myself anymore. I would stop here about what's really been on my mind, I wont have the words for it, or the heart. Some other time, some other place maybe.

So I'll just talk about my Corporate Grooming Lessons, my business school first month experience, first time away from home experience and everything in between.

Everyone's about a foot taller here, I feel sickeningly inferior - body image wise. Sometimes, when I get up to answer from my desk, I have a feeling that even standing I'm reaching to the same height as when everyone else is sitting.

People are not as competitive as I thought they would be, well, you cannot be sure I guess, since the exams have another month to go and again, I'm in HR. So yeah.

I've realized that I'm not a friendly person. People have made so many friends and so many numbers in their cell phones and so many movies and shopping trips to Colaba. My counter stands on one friend, and a few (very few) acquaintances. I'd like to believe that I take time, but again, as one of my classmates pointed out as my personality feedback in class "I'm not interested in people". Eitherway, its just a phase, everything is. Impermanence, remember.

I've been debating whether that last punctuation should have been a full stop or a question mark, I wrote it for here or for myself? I dont know. I really dont.

Since the last month, I've realized, if at any point you get stuck in a discussion or a case in your Business Class, the answer will most definitely revolve somewhere around Leadership, Teamwork and Goals. Not kidding. I'm going to revise this list soon, and I'm going to be very very pissed off if at the end of two years my answer doesnt change.

Mumbai should have a monsoon break over a summer vacation. Its moist, dirty, slippery, sticky and bloody wet. In my mind for now, rains are a rich man's delight, great from a high up building floor with AC working and a warm coffee mug in hand. It sucks when you have to walk in it from the station all the way to the hostel, with a backpack and a laptop bag in the hand and you cant find a rickshaw and you're thinking of the warden's face when she sees you at the gate - late. Irritating.

I've started eating a lot. I'm always thinking that the next meal might not turn out that good, so I just start stacking it in my stomach I guess. I've had the biggest craving for home cooked Dal-Chawal, and its sad to think that the earliest I'll get it will be Diwali. On the positive side thankfully the Rotis are not as thick, one problem out of the way, good.

I have gotten my first laptop, its a very ok Lappy we got by the college, but its mine, I looooove it! I carry it with me everywhere, and its an acer, so it not particularly feather weight. Its not even funny.

I thought there's a certain way girls smell and everyone's body has a unique fragrance and how deoderants are so artificial. That was until I had travelled in Mumbai Local Trains. Outlooks change, you know. Enter, Nike Woman.

For the most part though, I dont mind the local trains at all, the city would come to a standstill if weren't for these. By the way, First Class is no First Class, its a waste. Never buy it, if you can afford ten minutes to but the second class ticket.

Alright, I really need to crib and use this blog for its rightful purpose of existence - to vent out frustrations. There are no geysers in my hostel bathrooms. Its raining and cold water in the shower at 6:30 am is like being electrocuted, even worse than that if you have to shampoo, and condition, and wash clothes, stack of them thanks to the damn rain. And..and everytime after you use it, you bring your soap and shampoo back to your room and lock everything up. You lock before sleeping. You lock when you go to the bathroom. You lock your food. I once had a dream that my lovely Chakli from Indore got stolen. Aaah, breathe easy, just a nightmare. Lock the chakli, check.

More on hostel and a lot more on hostel facilities, coming right up, soon. But for now, time to get to Managerial Eco. Later then.

7 comments:

Preshit said...

Welcome to mumbai :D

I guess u'll slowly get used to the excessive rains and moist climate. I've gotten so much used to it in the last 4 yrs that now every time I go to Indore/Pune, my skin cracks up due to lack of moisture!

gud luck with everything.....

Sonia said...

....haha..i love reading your posts..this one reminds me of my own struggles away from home..

about the fear of chakli being stolen...i had that fear too! meri roomies bharosa karne layak nahi thi yar, chindi chor suna tha par kuch log chakli-chor hote hain :D
i hated to lock everything from books to food, because all my roomies were in the same major and all had the same reason for 'not cooking' - we all were busy. Aur agar chakli gayab ho jaye to kisipar ilzaam bhi nahi laga sakte...warna sab sochenge ki dekho kadki do rupalli ki chakli ko ro rahi hai...hehe...

are indori hi jaane chakli ka mol...

Shailesh Mishra said...

Being in a B-school and not facing serious competition?! Well you've got loads of surprises coming your way...

Nikita said...

auur khoob sara, khoob lamba...multiple posts.....as soon as possible....i know khoob frustration n adjustment n managament sab hoga....but it was a complete fun read....waitin for some more updates....

Atul Jain said...

1.Which college you are in?

2.Mumbai locals were the most memerising experience I had during my Mumbai stay. I still cherish those experiences of travelling on one leg cause there was no room on the floor to put your second leg down!

3.Lucky you, this year it's just moist and all. It floods as well in Mumbai. Ask any Mumbaikar about a fateful day in July'05.

4. Who's Chakli?

Nikita said...

see non indoreans ask who's chakli?

@ atul...it shud have been wat's a chakli?
nainy mam answer him....

Nikita said...

see non indoreans ask who's chakli?

@ atul...it shud have been wat's a chakli?
nainy mam answer him....